Wednesday, October 3, 2007

To my Grandmother

I've just gotten off the telephone with my Grandmother who lives in Dallas. We have a special connection, she's like my second Mother. I call her about 2-3 times a week to catch up and let her know I'm thinking about her. She won't touch a computer so I have to fall back on the old fashioned tele-communications. lol

I learned how to cook from her. I remember when I was a little girl I would play with the pots and pans in her kitchen. She'd let me roll out the tortillas (even though I never got them round). Whenever I'd help her make dinner, she's always proudly tell everyone at the table "Nicolasa made dinner tonight". My Grandparents gave me that name when I was younger.. Nicolasa. It stuck and I love it even more since they called me that.

When I was younger they would take me to the VFW with them for parties. During this time I learned how to fold the American flag and joined the Juniors (an organization in the VFW for youngsters). I accompanied them quite often. This leads me to a funny recollection. I was BIG into wrestling back then... you remember the Von Erich's right? (ok, ok, make fun, but hey- I grew up with 4 Uncles!!) So I had a choice to go to Austin for the weekend with my Grandparents or go to a wrestling match. So I chose to go to the wrestling match!!! I don't really remember the match, but for some odd reason I remember my Grandmother giving me the decision. lol I also remember when she used to help me fix my hair and put it in pony tails. Awwww those were the days!

Funny the things you remember from your childhood. I love you Mema!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

How sweet. I think it is wonderful you have such a wonderful Grandma. One of my grandma's has like 50 grand kids so she really didn't have time to give special one on one time. My other just wasn't in to being a Grandma. I hope my kids are able to experience the type of Grandma you have.

Anonymous said...

Aww, did you just tell MY story?! haha, it seems like it! I had a very, very similar relationship with my grandma. We never made tortillas, but she taught me how to make gnocchi for the first time when I was about 5 years old. I never rolled them right, I just smooshed them flat, haha. Great to hear you have such a wonderful relationship with your grandmother. I sure miss it!

Thank you for stopping by earlier and taking the time to comment, I have been lacking big time on blogging lately, but hopefully I'll get some time to start up again soon. ;) Looking forward to hopping over here and reading your posts.... I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Kim said...

Sweet post. I think we tend to take our grandparents for granted when we are young, and as we get older we begin to see the gift that they are!
*smiles*
Kim

PS: I posted the pumpkin flan recipe over on my blog that you asked for. YUM!

Anonymous said...

How lovely!

I only remember one of my Grandma's and she was an old boot! lol